(1) Who are you, and what do you do?
I'm Jeff of Birth AD. I play bass and yell, and I daydream about killing hipsters.
(2) Where are you?
In a nation full of idiots, aka America.
(3) What will the next food that passes your lips be?
Probably Tex-Mex igas, though I prefer New York style pizza to everything else on earth.
(4) If we’re speaking to you, it may well be because you’ve got something to sell – tell us a little about it.
Birth AD is authentic crossover thrash revival. We are the antidote to the failed “retro-thrash” movement. We will put your Bonded by Boreds and Toxic Whatevercausts right into the fucking ground.
(5) What’s the best thing about being in your band?
I really like the fact that everyone understands exactly what we're trying to do. People seem to be really excited about the band right now, which is encouraging.
(6) And the worst?
I don't like the fact that we're currently unsigned, because that means funding everything ourselves. It sucks!
(7) Where would you most like to perform that you haven’t already been to?
New York or California. I think both regions sound ready for us.
(8) Was it a bad thing for Judas Priest to appear on American Idol?
I didn't even hear about that, and I could care less about either entity.
(9) Who or what first alerted you to the fact that you’d like to be a musician?
I think it was when I saw some older kids perform at a school talent show when I was 12. They were playing hard rock covers, and it looked like a lot of fun. I was also getting into metal at that time, and it was a natural tendency.
(10) Who would win in a fight between a badger and a baboon? Why?
The baboon would win easily when you take weight ratios, agility, and opposable thumbs into account. That's not a hard question. Baboons are brutal creatures – didn't you ever see In the Shadow of Kilimanjaro?
(11) Motley Crue or Nirvana?
Motley Crue for sure. I never really liked them, but their first couple of releases were important. Nirvana was fucking annoying from beginning to end. I was pleased when Cobain shot himself.
(12) A genie grants you 24 hours as a member of another band – who do you join?
Celtic Frost – out of my way, Martin Ain!
(13) Are Cds a dead medium for music delivery?
Not at all. Birth AD still sells CDs regularly. They're a much more reliable archiving device than MP3s in terms of longevity and quality.
(14) Only a fool comes off tour with less money in his pocket than he started with. Discuss.
You clearly made up that saying. Nobody who has actually gone on tour has ever said that. Touring in the underground is a huge financial risk, more of a gamble really. You have to be prepared to lose a ton of money in the vain hope that it will improve the band's standing. There isn't a band on the planet that didn't lose money at some point in their journey to bigger things.
(15) What sort of music can you absolutely not abide?
Gore grind and hip hop are both unredeeming and retarded.
(16) Which of your songs would you like the cast of Glee to record?
That's a musical, right? I guess Kill Everybody because it has a lot of gang yells. It would translate to an ensemble performance.
(17) What one item of non-musical equipment can you not do without on tour?
My Under Armor tank top - I sweat like a fucking pig when I perform, it keeps me from dying of heat rash.
(18) Can you do a Hospital Corner?
I looked that one up and was disappointed to find that it wasn't a sexual position, because then my answer would have been yes. In this case, no I can't. I am terrible with folding clothes or bedding. I also can't wrap presents for shit.
(19) Here’s one last chance to spruik your band/tour/album... What else should we know about it?
Birth AD has an acclaimed EP out called Stillbirth of a Nation. It's awesome, and I'm sure you'll agree. If you want to hear any new crossover material, we're the only game in town.
You can purchase it along with other related merchandise at www.birthad.bandcamp.com, Amazon.com, or iTunes if you're gay and/or under 30. We're set to record a new album at the end of the year with thrash metal godfather Alex Perialas, so that's going to be exciting. I also write a semi-regular column for Century Media's Metal Army blog. Check that out too.
(20) 20 questions was brought to you by?
The adorable Kim Kelly of Catharsis PR. Thanks!